Worlds generated in other players' games can be downloaded by the player and opened in their copy of the game. They are stored in different locations depending on the operating system. It is often located in the .minecraft/minecraft folder.
Prior to Beta , there were five world slots, and custom names were not possible. To use more than five worlds then, it was required to rename and move folders. This is no longer necessary; there can be theoretically any number of worlds, each with their own names.
- An archive utility, such as WinRAR or 7-Zip in Windows or archive utility in Mac OS and Archive Manager in Linux. Some files come as , which cannot be extracted without the use of any external program. files can be opened without any external programs in all operating systems, and the use of external programs is not needed in macOS.
== Download a world == download link:www.oxygen.com.ro?usp=sharing Download your chosen world with a web browser.
The safest place to download from is: www.oxygen.com.ro
Extract the world
This is necessary if your file is a or .
- Extract the file if the file format is
- If you see a folder named and a file named , then you're good to go! Extract the folders to your desktop.
- If not, the files are probably there, you just have to dig deeper. Some might have two folders named and . Check the folder until you see and . Once you find them, extract the folders to your desktop.
Importing into Minecraft
Now that we have the files, we're going to put them in the .minecraft folder.
- Copy the folder off your desktop (i.e. copy the folder one directory above and ).
- Open the .minecraft folder. Below is a table showing the default directory for .minecraft.
OS Location Windows macOS Linux
- Open the folder. You will notice all your worlds are here.
- Paste the folder (+ or +) into the folder.
- Open the new folder and check to make sure it has this folder and file in it, all right under .
- Once they're all there, launch the game, and the world can now be found in your worlds list.
Find the folder in Minecraft
Here's the hardest part: finding your new save in all your other saves.
- Once Minecraft opens, click "Singleplayer"
- The name of the folder you copied will be the grayed out name under the world name.
- The new save is usually all the way at the bottom, but that's not always the case. You might need to do some hunting.
- Once you found it, load it up and have fun!
If you found the above instructions confusing, here is a simpler explanation:
- Download the world file (usually in or ) format
- Extract it
- Find the .minecraft folder
- Look for the folder
- If the extracted content contains many files and folders, create a new folder
- Copy all the extracted content into that folder
- Open up Minecraft and it will be in your selection of saved worlds
10 Minecraft Maps You'll Want To See