"Barracuda" is a song by American rock band Heart from their second studio album, Little Queen (), and was released as the album's lead single. The song peaked at number 11 on the Billboard Hot , where it spent 20 weeks. In , the song was included as a playable track in the music video game Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock. In , "Barracuda" was named the 34th Best Hard Rock Song of All Time by VH1. The song was included on the compilation albums Greatest Hits/Live (), These Dreams: Greatest Hits (), Greatest Hits (), The Essential Heart (), Love Alive (), Playlist: The Very Best of Heart () and Strange Euphoria (), and on the live albums Rock the House Live! (), The Road Home (), Alive in Seattle () and Live in Atlantic City ().
Ann Wilson revealed in interviews that the song was about Heart's anger towards Mushroom Records, who as a publicity stunt released a made-up story of an incestuous affair involving Ann and her sister Nancy Wilson. The song particularly focuses on Ann's rage towards a male radio promoter who came up to her after a concert asking how her "lover" was. She initially thought he was talking about her boyfriend, band manager Michael Fisher. After he revealed he was talking about her sister Nancy, Ann became outraged, went back to her hotel room, and wrote the original lyrics of the song.
Producer Mike Flicker added that Mushroom Records was so obtuse in the contract negotiations that Heart decided to discard the album they were working on, Magazine—which the label still released in an unfinished form—and instead sign with the newly formed Portrait Records to make another record, Little Queen. As Flicker put it, "'Barracuda' was created conceptually out of a lot of this record business bullshit. Barracuda could be anyone from the local promotion man to the president of a record company. That is the barracuda. It was born out of that whole experience."
In a March interview with Gear Factor, Nancy Wilson revealed that the guitar riff for "Barracuda" was inspired by the riff from Nazareth's cover of the Joni Mitchell song "This Flight Tonight". Wilson said:
We've been opening for a band called Nazareth in Europe and also for Queen. And Nazareth had a hit with a Joni Mitchell song that they covered [in ] called 'This Flight Tonight' that had kind of that riff.
So we kind of borrowed that. And we made it into 'Barracuda.' And we saw the guys from Nazareth later and they were pissed. 'You took our riff!'.
But that's kind of what everybody – you borrow from what you love and then you make it your own. It's one of those sounds too, it's one of those guitar tones that I'm still trying to figure out what we did. [Laughs] It's hard to re-create.
"Barracuda" has been labeled by reviewers as heavy metal and hard rock. Upon the song's release, it became Heart's second top entry in the United States, peaking at number 11 on the Billboard Hot 
Uses in pop culture
Fergie's version appears in the movie Shrek the Third.
Heart's version appears in the movies I, Tonya, Charlie's Angels and Birds of Prey: And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn, Netflix television series Umbrella Academy, Reno and the videogame Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.
A parody was featured in the Big City Greens episode "Barry Cuda".
A cover sung by Rachel Bloom appears in the movie Trolls World Tour.
Usage at the Republican National Convention
"Barracuda" was played at the Republican National Convention in reference to John McCain's running mate, Sarah Palin, who claims she was known as "Sarah Barracuda" as a high school basketball star (and as "Sarracuda" after the convention, a play on her name). The Wilson sisters disapproved, as they disagreed with Palin's politics, and sent a cease-and-desist letter to John McCain's campaign, despite the McCain campaign's claim to have lawfully purchased rights to use the song.
In an appearance on a Seattle talk show, song co-writer and lead guitarist Roger Fisher announced he was thrilled with the RNC's use of the song, because it both resulted in royalties for the band and gave them an opportunity to publicly point out that he is a "staunch" supporter of Barack Obama. Michael Derosier, a co-writer of the song and the band's drummer on the recording, also supports the use of the song by the RNC. The McCain campaign continued to use the song, despite Nancy Wilson's statement to Entertainment Weekly that "Sarah Palin's views and values in no way represent us as American women."
Credits adapted from the liner notes of Little Queen.
- ^"Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock – Soundtrack Song List". IGN.
- ^" Best Hard Rock Songs Ever (According to VH1)". Stereogum. January 5,
- ^"Original TV Shows, Reality TV Shows". VH1. September 30, Retrieved October 12,
- ^"Classic Tracks: Heart's "Barracuda"". Mixonline. January 9, Retrieved October 12,
- ^"Heart's Nancy Wilson: We Took 'Barracuda' Riff From Legendary Band". YouTube. March 5,
- ^Saulnier, Jason (March 15, ). "Roger Fisher Interview". Music Legends. Retrieved May 7,
- ^ ab"Heart Chart History (Hot )". Billboard. Retrieved December 25,
- ^Umbrella Academy Season 1, Ep. 10 The White Violin
- ^"Heart to Sarah Palin: Don't Play 'Barracuda'". Fox News. September 5, Retrieved October 12,
- ^ ab"McCain and Palin once again play 'Barracuda'". CNN.
- ^"Heart's Roger Fisher thrilled with RNC 'Barracuda' playArchived September 13, , at the Wayback Machine" Summary and link to streaming audio. KIRO FM
- ^On-air interview with Roger FisherArchived March 4, , at the Wayback Machine, by Dori Monson, KIRO, Seattle
- ^"Exclusive: Heart's Nancy Wilson responds to McCain campaign's use of 'Barracuda' at Republican convention". Entertainment Weekly. May 9, Archived from the original on July 25,
- ^Little Queen (liner notes). Heart. Portrait Records. JR CS1 maint: others (link)
- ^Modell, Josh (October 8, ). "The Dismemberment Plan covers Heart · A.V. Undercover". The A.V. Club. Retrieved October 12,
- ^Wass, Mike (March 3, ). "Adam Lambert And Lea Michele Cover Heart's Classic Rock Anthem "Barracuda" For 'Glee': Listen". Retrieved March 5,
- ^Wilson, Nancy (March 3, ). "Tomorrow on #Glee @adamlambert & @msleamichele take on our @officialheart #Barracuda featuring my guitar piece!Tune in to @GLEEonFOX at 8 PM". @NancyWilson. Retrieved July 31,
- ^"www.oxygen.com.ro: Fearless: Kat Perkins: MP3 Downloads". Amazon Music. Retrieved February 24,
- ^Kent, David (). Australian Chart Book – (illustrated ed.). St Ives, NSW: Australian Chart Book. p. ISBN.
- ^"www.oxygen.com.ro – Heart – Barracuda" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top
- ^"www.oxygen.com.ro – Heart – Barracuda" (in Dutch). Ultratop
- ^"Top RPM Singles: Issue a." RPM. Library and Archives Canada. Retrieved August 17,
- ^"Heart ((USA)) – Barracuda" (in Dutch). Dutch Top Retrieved October 2,
- ^"www.oxygen.com.ro – Heart – Barracuda" (in Dutch). Single Top
- ^"www.oxygen.com.ro – Heart – Barracuda". Top 40 Singles.
- ^"SA Charts – (As presented on Springbok Radio/Radio Orion) – Acts H". The South African Rock Encyclopedia. Retrieved August 18,
- ^"www.oxygen.com.ro – Heart – Barracuda". Singles Top
- ^"Cash Box Top Singles – Week ending August 27, ". Cash Box. Retrieved October 2,
- ^"www.oxygen.com.ro – Heart – Barracuda". GfK Entertainment Charts. Retrieved May 21,
- ^"Forum – ARIA Charts: Special Occasion Charts – Top End of Year AMR Charts – s". www.oxygen.com.ro. Retrieved October 2,
- ^"Top singles of '77". RPM. Vol.28 no. December 31, p. ISSN Retrieved October 12, via Library and Archives Canada.
- ^"Top 20 Hit Singles of ". The South African Rock Encyclopedia. Retrieved September 2,
- ^"Hot Songs – Year-End ". Billboard. Retrieved October 2,
- ^"The Cash Box Year-End Charts: – Top Pop Singles". Cash Box. December 31, Retrieved October 2,
- ^"Top Single-Jahrescharts – " (in German). Offizielle Deutsche Charts. Retrieved October 2,
Nazareth - Animals